Wis. woman uses hot coals to warm van, starts fire
LAC DU FLAMBEAU, Wis. (AP) -- Authorities on the Lac du Flambeau reservation say a woman was lucky to escape injury after she tried to use hot charcoal to heat up her vehicle in subzero temperatures.
A WSAW-TV report says authorities responded to a vehicle fire Tuesday morning.
Lac du Flambeau police Chief Robert Brandenburg tells The Associated Press temperatures were about minus 23 degrees and the woman's 2007 Dodge Caravan wasn't starting. So first she took out the battery, warmed it up inside and reinstalled it.
Then she shoved a mound of hot coals under the van hoping to warm up the engine chamber. He says the undercarriage of the front bumper caught fire, causing about $1,000 of damage.
Brandenburg says he's used the charcoal trick successfully, but he doesn't advise that others try it.