Racine home suffers $57,000 in damages following house fire

CREATED Jul 16, 2014

  • Print

RACINE -- A Racine home suffered $57,000 in damages following a fire Tuesday.

It happened around 4:30 p.m. near 13th Street and Cleveland Avenue. According to the Racine Fire Department, a 14-year-old boy was playing with a cigarette lighter and started a bed on fire. Officials said the boy thought he extinguished the fire and left the room.

Within a few minutes, crews said he noticed smoke and could not enter the room because of the smoke and heat. He called 911 and evacuated the house.

The fire also caused damage to the garage next door to the house.

There were no injuries.