Racine fire displaces family of 5

CREATED Apr 2, 2014

  • Print

RACINE -- A Racine family has been displaced from their home following a fire Tuesday night.

The blaze erupted around 7 p.m. near the intersection of West Street and Memorial Drive.

The Racine Fire Department said the fire began in an upstairs bedroom where children in the home were playing with fire.

Smoke and water damage was confined to the bedroom and the fire was quickly extinguished.

The house had no smoke detectors, officials said.