Racine family escapes from duplex fire

CREATED Feb 27, 2014 - UPDATED: Feb 27, 2014

  • Print

RACINE -- A family escaped their Southwood Drive duplex after it caught fire around 2:20 a.m. Thursday.

Fire crews said a woman awoke after hearing a loud crash and smelled heavy smoke in the southern unit of the two-story, two-family residence. She warned the family in the northern unit, who then called police.

The Racine Fire Department said the fire started after food was left unattended on the stove in the kitchen.
 
There is an estimated $30,000 in damages.