Part of Oshkosh evacuated due to chemical spill

CREATED Sep 13, 2013 - UPDATED: Sep 13, 2013

  • Print

OSHKOSH - Things are back to normal in Oshkosh after a chemical spill evacuated homes and had surrounding neighborhoods on high alert.

A muriatic acid leak had emergency crews rushing to the Hydrite chemical plant in Oshkosh Friday afternoon.

"When we got here, we found out it was about a 7,000 gallon tank that had leaked about a thousand gallons," says John Holland, with the Oshkosh Fire Department.

Muriatic acid, also known as hydrochloric acid, is highly corrosive. Touching it can burn your skin. Breathing it can burn your lungs. So crews evacuated about 65 homes and a handful of businesses just to be safe. Bob Bacon's home was one of them.

"Of course it's scary, but I think the city knows about the plant," says Bacon. "The plant has been there for quite some time. They don't bat an eye. As soon as something potentially happens, they immediately let the area know."

The good news, the acid wasn't able to travel too far.

"It leaked right into the containment which is built around the tank for just such an emergency and it worked very very well," Holland says.

After a few hours, crews gave the all clear and everybody was back home - safe and sound.

"We still like it here," Bacon explains. "They let us know. It's part and parcel of living in this neighborhood, so we like it here."

No injuries have been reported. However, if you were in the area at the time and think you may have been exposed, you're encouraged to go to the doctor.