Fire leaves family in Milwaukee homeless for the holidays

CREATED Dec. 7, 2013

  • Print

 MILWAUKEE -- A family of six is staying somewhere else Saturday night, staying warm, after a fire forced them out of their home around 3:30 am. Wind chills were below zero at the time.


They used to live in this house near Leon Terrace just off of Capitol Drive. They’re now homeless for the holidays.  They managed to escape the fire, in the frigid weather, with just the clothes on their backs.

It was a somber day for Jamie Glenn. He and his family picked through what's left of their belongings. They’re collecting what they can salvage. Because they fear what's left may be stolen. When the fire started, his wife at first thought she smelled paper burning.

“I heard this pop noise,” explains Stephanie Jones. “It was like a crackling noise, and something told me to get up. And I opened the door and we have a chimney upstairs, and I just seen this ball of fire just right there."
 
They woke the four children up and ran out of the house.
 
“The children were very scared - very terrified,” says Glenn. “You know, it's a fire. Everyone got out safe and okay. That’s the most important thing right now."
 
The family lost important documents, pictures, and lot of clothes. Parts of the house are flooded.

The good news is that they haven't started their Christmas shopping yet. And at least they'll be together with their extended family for Christmas.

"We’re going to the in-laws,” shares Jones. But really, we're homeless. We still feel homeless because it's not our house."

For now the family will rely on friends and family to stay warm during this bitter blast.