Fire damages Racine home

CREATED Dec. 26, 2013

  • Print

RACINE - Fire raged through a two-story house in Racine Christmas night while the family was inside.

It all started around 5pm. Eighteen year old Marquise King was watching the Lakers game in his bedroom. His mom had just returned home from dropping off Christmas presents. That's when Marquise smelled smoke and saw flames in his bedroom closet.

"And ran downstairs and told my mom, fire. My brother ran upstairs with a fire extinguisher. He tried to put it out but couldn't get to it," said King.

Marquise, his brother and parents got out safely and called the fire department. Now, Lt. Mark Polzin wants to know how flames spared in a closet.

"Generally it's not something that we see. There were large amounts of debris that had been in the closet apparently for some time. So we're trying to go through what was in there," said Lt. Polzin.

Fire damage was mostly contained to the bedroom. Lt. Polzin knows one thing for sure, Marquise's quick actions spared the rest of the home from damages.

"They did a really smart thing. When they noticed it, opened up the closet, noticed the fire in the closet, they essentially closed the closet door afterwards and kept it contained to the closet area," said Lt. Polzin.

And the inspector says the Red Cross has been contacted and will be helping the family as they are temporarily without a home on this Christmas night.