Fatal fire in South Milwaukee began in kitchen

CREATED Dec. 22, 2013

  • Print

 SOUTH MILWAUKEE (AP) -- An 80-year-old man has died in a fire that started in the kitchen of his South Milwaukee home.

Fire Chief Joseph Knitter says firefighters found the man dead inside the home shortly after they received a 911 call about smoke coming from the back of the house around 1:30 p.m. Saturday. Nobody else was inside.

Officials declined to release the man's name Sunday because they still were trying to contact his relatives.

Because of the death, the state fire marshal's office is investigating.