Morning fire in Racine kills elderly woman

CREATED Jan. 8, 2014 - UPDATED: Jan. 8, 2014

  • Print

***UPDATE***  Police confirm this morning's fire in Racine killed an elderly woman in her home.

Neighbors identified the woman as Madeline Christiansen, 77, and said she relied on oxygen to help her everyday breathing.
 
Police wouldn't comment on that information, but believe smoke inhalation played a strong role in her death.
 
Investigators continue to sift through the damage and have not identified a cause for the fire.
 
Check back to TODAY'S TMJ4 for updates.
 
***
RACINE -- A quiet neighborhood street awoke Wednesday morning to the booming sounds of sirens.
 
A fire broke out around 8 a.m. inside a brick home in the 2800 of Webster Street. Firefighters confirm they rescued an elderly woman who lived there with her dog (they continue to search for the pet).
 
A battalion chief with the Racine Fire Department tells TODAY'S TMJ4 an ambulance took the woman to a nearby hospital, and offered no update on her condition.
 
Neighbors we spoke with described plumes of smoke emanating from the house but no flames.
 
Investigators concentrated their efforts in the home's living room, but did not specify if a heater sparked the fire.