Crews clear scene of natural gas leak in Oak Creek

CREATED Jun 27, 2014 - UPDATED: Jun 27, 2014

  • Print

OAK CREEK -- As quickly as a natural gas leak happened along Howell Avenue, just south of Puetz Road, it ended.

Construction crews are back to work Friday after they accidentally hit a two-inch gas main, while working on telecommunications lines underground.

Fire crews and We energies responded to the scene around 10 a.m..

Gas was shut off and firefighters evacuated a few businesses around the corner. They also ordered children at the salvation army daycare across the street to stay indoors - all precautionary - the battalion chief said the public was never in danger.

"Natural gas is lighter than air so it will evaporate pretty quick or at least join the atmosphere pretty quick, it doesn't stay in any low area, so as long as there's a bit of a breeze, it carries away pretty fast," said Tom Johnson with the Oak Creek Fire Department.

We energies said only one place remains without gas service right now. That's a bank, but repairs are underway.