Smoldering insulation sparks fire response at We Energies plant
OAK CREEK - A malfunctioning digital control system sparked a fire response at the We Energies plant in Oak Creek Tuesday afternoon, the company says.
The Oak Creek Fire Department was called to the scene after two units went offline that caused some insulation to smolder.
We Energies says there were no flames, no injuries, and no believed power outages. The immediate area was evacuated.
The Oak Creek Fire Department posted a message on its Facebook page explaining its' involvement:
"Units responding to We Energies power plant for reports of heavy smoke," the update reads.
It happened just after 3:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. The power plant in Oak Creek is located at 4801 East Elm Road.