Cigarette lighter causes fire at Racine duplex

CREATED Jul 7, 2014

  • Print

RACINE -- A duplex unit in Racine is uninhabitable after a fire caused $50,000 worth of damage Sunday morning.

Officials said the fire originated in a second floor bedroom where a child was playing with a cigarette lighter.

An 8-year-old boy and two adult females escaped the blaze around 7:30 a.m. near 16th Street and Grove Avenue.

According to the Racine Fire Department, a smoke alarm woke a sleeping grandmother who found smoke coming from a second floor bedroom. She entered the burning bedroom and took her grandson out to safety and evacuated the other adult female and duplex neighbors.

The fire, which started in a second floor bedroom, spread throughout the second floor and attic before firefighters extinguished it.

One adult female was transported to an area hospital with first degree burns and smoke inhalation.  She was later discharged.