Candle causes apartment fire in Racine

Renter tried to shove a burning mattress out a window

CREATED Feb 23, 2014

  • Print
  • File graphic

 RACINE - Firefighters in Racine say someone knocked a candle under a bed at 1206 Carlisle Avenue early this morning, sparking a fire in an apartment unit.

When crews got to the scene, they found a mattress on fire in a second floor balcony window. The tenant had tried to put out the fire on their own and force the burning mattress out the window.

The Racine Fire Department says in the case of an emergency, call 911 before trying to do anything on your own. The fire caused about $25,000 in damage.