Church Workers in Haiti Say They're Safe
MILWAUKEE -- Volunteers with Milwaukee's Episcopal Diocese have posted a Facebook message saying that they are safe after going through Tuesday's 7.0 earthquake in Haiti.
The volunteers from the Haiti Project said they had finished up work in a small village in the mountains near the community of Jeannette, Haiti. Five others had returned to the U.S., but they remained.
Rev. David Pfaff, canon to the bishop, told the Journal Sentinel that the two were standing on a roof of a guest house where they were staying when the earthquake happened. They will return to the U.S. as soon as possible.
The Journal Sentinel reports six women from St. Mary Catholic Faith Community in Hales Corners were due to fly to Haiti Wednesday to spend a week at the church's sister parish near Jeremie on Haiti's southwest peninsula.
Two people from Southeastern Wisconsin are reported missing in Haiti:
• Melissa Elliott, a college student from Hartland
• Peter Van Horn, a Town of Delafield Supervisor
• Report: Milwaukee-Area Student Found in Haiti
• No Word Yet on Child Sponsored by WTMJ Anchor
• Racine Couple Loses Family in Earthquake
• Church Groups Workers OK
• UW Group in Haiti Unhurt
• Local Groups Reeling
• Milwaukee's Eyes on Haiti
• MSNBC Coverage
• Mike Elliott, whose daughter is missing in Haiti, on 620WTMJ's Wisconsin's Morning News
• Dr. Ron and Ronnie Pruhs, who have done service work in Haiti for years, on 620WTMJ's Wisconsin's Morning News
• The Cold-Filtered Ramblings of Gene Mueller: How To Help
TODAY'S TMJ4 HD's "How You Can Help Phone Bank"
• Call in with your pledge from 3:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 14th to donate money to the Red Cross
Sampling of Haiti-Serving Charities with Milwaukee Connections:
• Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee World Mission Ministries
• Episcopal Diocese of Milwaukee Haiti Project
• Friends for Health in Haiti
• Gesu Parish in Milwaukee, twinning with St. Jude's Church in Haiti
• Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Milwaukee, twinning with Norwich Mission House in Haiti
• Our Little Brothers and Sisters
• Salvation Army of Southeastern Wisconsin
• St. Francis Cabrini Parish in West Bend's Haiti Outreach
• St. Mary's of Hales Corners
• Three Angels Children's Relief
• Text HAITI to 90999 and $10 will be donated automatically to the Red Cross, charged to your cell phone bill
• MSNBC's List of Charitable Organizations
The women canceled their trip, but are concerned about the well being of those at their sister parish.
Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)