Mother Charged After Baby Dies of Methadone Overdose
Newsradio 620 WTMJ is on Twitter now! Click Here to learn more.
Prosecutors in Milwaukee County have filed a child neglect charge against a mother after her baby died of a methadone overdose. Andrea Zalewski faces up to 25 years in prison if convicted.
According to a criminal complaint, Zalewski's baby stopped breathing in October of last year. The baby was only three months old. She died of a methadone overdose.
Click Here to read the criminal complaint.
The child was born with a methadone addiction. Doctors sent the little girl home with a sleep monitor, which the doctor told Zalewski to use at all times. After the death, a log on the machine showed Zalewski hadn't used the monitor for a week before her daughter's death.
Investigators found traces of methadone in the baby's bottle. Zalewski told police she didn't remember mixing methadone with her daughter's formula, but said she "must have done it." She told police that she was on liquid methadone and kept the drug near the baby bottles in the refrigerator.