Police identify victim of Shorewood house fire
SHOREWOOD - It doesn't take big billowing flames for a fire to prove fatal.
One woman died after a Wednesday night house fire in Shorewood, the North Shore Fire Department said.
That woman has been identified as Jeanne A. Taggett, who was 90 years old and lived alone.
The fire happened around 9:00 p.m. at the corner of Murray and Lake Bluff Blvd. in Shorewood. North Shore Fire Rescue previously said there was "one victim".
Investigators report the fire that killed a 90-year-old woman was contained to the back kitchen area. The smoke, however, spread through the house.
Neighbors heard a loud beeping device, but it wasn't a smoke alarm; firefighters found a working carbon monoxide detector instead.
That might explain why the folks who lived upstairs in the duplex made it out alive.