3 heat-related deaths in Milwaukee
MILWAUKEE - This week's heat wave has turned deadly. Three people have died from heat-related illnesses.
Folks at The Willows housing complex in Milwaukee were shocked when emergency responders showed up Friday. Mary Taylor lives at The Willows:
"When I saw the fire truck, I thought ‘What the heck? What's the fire truck doing here?’"
Flo Kendrick tells us she just saw her neighbor, Roger, Friday morning. By the afternoon, she got word he was found dead in his apartment, the victim of apparent heat stroke.
"I said ‘What's the matter?’ She said ‘They found Roger on the floor, dead.’ I said ‘Huh? I saw him this morning. He went to the store.’"
The medical examiner says it was 98 degrees in Roger's home. The windows were closed, with no fans and no air conditioning.
"If i didn't have that air conditioner, I wouldn't be able to stand it up there either," explains Taylor.
Roger's core temperature when he died -- 107.
"They acted like he tried to get out of the door and couldn't make it to the door," says Flo Kendrick, another neighbor. "They opened the door and there he lay."
Roger is one of three men who died from heat-related complications this week. A 71-year-old man was also found dead Friday in his house. His core temperature was 102. And a 44 year-old-man was pronounced dead Thursday, with a core temp of 108.
All of them someone's family, someone's friend. Like Roger, who will be missed.
"He was nice," says Kendrick. "He didn't mess with anybody."
Air conditioning makes a big difference in these cases. But if you don't have it or can't afford it, you can always take a cool bath or shower if you start to feel like you're overheating.