KENOSHA - The force and timing of the explosion could have been deadly. Even the
Fire Chief was surprised no one was hurt.
"There was like a whoosh and then a cloud of dust," said Rob Peterson.
The explosion blew out doors and windows and sent the brick facade flying in all directions.
Peterson smelled natural gas and was checking his house when the neighbor's house exploded.
"Yeah, I would have been out sooner but it just shook you up, it kind of confuses you," said Peterson.
The blast forced the evacuation of a few neighbors.
"It was pretty frightening," said Megan Huizinga.
She was in her car waiting for a friend and felt the blast from just a few feet away.
"I could hear glass falling on my car and there was just a big cloud of smoke kind of surrounding it," Huzinga says.
Even though the Fire Chief says the home was vacant, police are investigating if people were going in and out of the foreclosed house. The water and gas were still on.
"We can not confirm nor deny anything regarding squatters," said Fire Chief John Thomsen.
He wouldn't speculate on a cause while on the scene. He's just thankful no one was hurt.
"We were very, very fortunate no one was injured when they were walking on the street at that time," said Thomsen.
We Energies was also on the scene. The home's electricity had been shut off.