Fire displaces 65 from domestic abuse shelter
NBC26 Live at 5:00 Video by wtmj.comvideo
APPLETON - Harbor House in Appleton is temporarily closed after an overnight fire Sunday, and about 65 women and children are receiving help form the Red Cross after being displaced.
Firefighters were called to the domestic abuse shelter shortly after 9:00 p.m. Sunday. When firefighters arrived, the small fire had been contained, but several bedrooms were flooded with several inches of water.
According to fire investigators, the building's sprinkler system worked as it should have and helped prevent a tragedy. Firefighters say child playing with a lighter sparked the blaze.
The majority of the damage was from water, the fire damage was limited to one area of a bedroom on the third floor.
No one was hurt in the fire. The shelter's director hopes to have the shelter up and running by Monday.