People evacuated after apartment fire in Racine

CREATED Jun 22, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com

    Play
  • File graphic

RACINE - Some residents of a Racine apartment building can thank their neighbors for saving their lives.

Many were still asleep when firefighters were called to the scene around 7:30am because someone spotted smoke coming from the eaves and vents on the roof.

Flames were contained to two units at 4023 Erie Street and everyone got out safely.

A county transit bus was brought in for residents who had to be evacuated.

There were reports an elderly woman trapped in a bathroom.