Lightning strikes twice in the city of Milwaukee

CREATED Jun. 22, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com

    video

The thunderstorm that hit our area was short but fierce. Homes in the area of 86th and Townsend in Milwaukee were evacuated because of a gas leak in the area.

Early Saturday morning, emergency crews responded to a tree fire caused by a lightning strike. Once the fire was out, the gas leak was discovered and residents evacuated.

One of the neighbors, Melita Cleveland, said "I lived in an apartment before I bought a house in this neighborhood, and there was a gas leak there. But since I've lived here for eight years, I've never experienced anything like that."

Surprisingly, it wasn't the first time this happened in twenty-four hours. On Friday, homes in Greenfield were evacuated due to a gas leak after lightning struck. WE Energies made repairs and checked the safety of the homes.

Officials say you're more likely to have an explosion when natural gas builds up. Doing something as simple as flipping on a light switch could potentially cause a spark.

Once they knew gas levels were safe, people could re-enter their homes.

But what can you do if you think your house has a gas leak?

 

Officials told TODAY’S TMJ4 that if you smell natural gas - and it could smell like rotten eggs, call WE Energies and get out of the area.