Milwaukee couple rescues man after he collapses during fire

CREATED May 8, 2013

  • Print

POLK - A couple from Milwaukee saved a man's life after a fire got out of control over the weekend.

According to the Washington County Sheriff's office, a 53-year-old man from Polk was burning some wood in a fire pit on Sunday, May 5, when nearby leaves were ignited. He attempted to extinguish the fire but collapsed due to "the combination of a medical issue and exhaustion."

The fire continued to grow, and the man called for help. According to Lt. Martin R. Schulteis, a woman from Milwaukee and her husband responded to the cries for help. They called 911, and, along with the woman's sister, began fighting the fire.

The man was taken to Columbia St Mary’s Hospital by Ozaukee by Life Star Rescue, and is recovering from his burns.