4-year-old rescued from Racine apartment fire

CREATED May 8, 2013 - UPDATED: May 8, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com

    Play
  • Video by wtmj.com

    Play
  • File graphic

RACINE -A fire broke out at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the first floor bedroom of a Racine apartment. Two dogs died in the blaze, but a man, a woman, and a child made it out safely thanks to a neighbor.

The hero said he’s not a hero, but was simply reacting as any parent would. When fire ripped through their apartment building last night, Jacqueline Jammeison barely had time to think.

“It took me a minute to realize what was really going on,” explains Jammeison. “My first reaction was to grab my son and run.”

They climbed out a window and onto the roof of their apartment building. This is the man who helped save them. Neighbor Santrell Mosby who rushed over to help.

“We asked, do you want us to get your baby down?,” claims Mosby.

Mom gently lowered her child into his waiting arms.

Jammieson said that before the fire she hadn’t really met her neighbors, and has lived in this house for three years. While she’s very grateful to be alive, she said she’s overwhelmed by the show of community support.

“I was very grateful. Earlier today was the first time ever speaking to that man and he came over and held me,” states Jammieson.

The neighbors, who have now all met, state this tragedy has only brought them closer.

“We have great neighbors,” claims neighbor Katie Miller. “We’re a good community and we all stick together. When one of us is in trouble we all come help.”

Even though Jacqueline Jammeison and her child survived the fire, she tells me she’s heartbroken about losing her friend’s pit bulls, who she was taking care of.