Woman dead after carbon monoxide incident in Racine County

CREATED Apr 5, 2013 - UPDATED: Apr 5, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com


MOUNT PLEASANT - A woman has been found dead after high levels of carbon monoxide were found in a condominium complex.

The incident happened at about 11:30 p.m. Thursday night in a garage on the 3200 block of Wood road in Mount Pleasant.

According to police, Geri Wells, 59, was found dead inside a car in the garage. 

Police and South Shore Fire crews found large amounts of carbon monoxide there.

"As (crews) investigated further, they found higher levels, (leading to) the evacuation of the entire building," said fire battalion chief Jon Kaiser to Newsradio 620 WTMJ's Jon Byman.

Kaiser also said the vehicle was not running when they arrived at the scene.

Several condominiums had to be evacuated.

Witnesses tell TODAY'S TMJ4 that firefighters pounded on their doors to get out.

Police say that no one else was hurt.

Police did not initially reveal details about the cause of death.