Two boys, including hero, battling burn injuries after West Allis fire which killed teenagers

CREATED Mar. 17, 2013 - UPDATED: Mar. 18, 2013

  • Print

WEST ALLIS - Two young boys were battling burn injuries Monday morning after a deadly fire that killed two teenager in West Allis.
 
One of them is being hailed a hero.
 
Joel Gonzales, 13, and Kendall Gonzales, 4, were being treated at Children's Hospital in Wauwatosa. 
 
 
Joel was upgraded to good condition Monday morning. 
 
There was no initial word on Kendall's condition.
 
Joel's brother Michael, 14, was killed.  So did Isaiha Kobow, 14.  The Medical Examiner's office was set to perform autopsies on Monday.
 
The fire happened Sunday morning near the corner of South 57th and West Mitchell Streets Sunday morning.
 
Isaiha attended West Milwaukee Intermediate School. 
 
Students and staff there are enduring heartache.
 
"We're all just very shocked and very saddened right now," explained principal Jerry Taylor.
 
"We have a lot of counselors.  We have a lot of support.  I was with Isaiha on Friday, and so it's very shocking...it's a numbing kind of thing."
 
Kobow played basketball at the school.
 
"He'll be missed.  We love him and hate to see that something like this would happen."
 
Michael Gonzalez attended an MPS school.
 
Shock, disbelief and heartache were just some of the emotions being felt Sunday night at a vigil for the fallen teenagers in West Allis.
 
Holding memories in his hands, William Kobow tries to wrap his around his loss.
 
"It's still not real to me, you guys," Kobow says.
 
Kobow's classmates, teachers, family and friends filled the street outside his home.
 
"What can't I say about him," Kobow says. "He's an awesome kid. He was excelling in school. [I'm] so proud. Ready to go to high school. Play basketball."
 
George Gonzales tells TODAY'S TMJ4 that the teenagers were spending the night at Michael's mom's house when the fire broke out. George says he wasn't home when the fire started.
 
"He was a good kid," Gonzales says.
 
"You know, always taking care of his grandma. That's why he was here. He lived with his grandma but he just came here to visit his mom over the weekend."
 
Family members have been told by fire officials that their children's bodies were so badly burned, they'll need dental records to positively identify them. That thought leaves William Kobow numb and without the closure he needs.
 
"I'd go to the morgue now to do it if I could, but they won't allow me," Kobow says.