Car crash leads to gas leak in Delavan

CREATED Mar 5, 2013 - UPDATED: Mar 5, 2013

  • Print

DELAVAN - A We Energies spokesman says people evacuated after a gas leak caused by a car crash.

The leak happened at about 7:40 a.m. Tuesday in downtown Delavan.

Brian Manthey of We Energies told Newsradio 620 WTMJ that a car struck a gas meter on the 200 block of East Walworth Avenue.

He said crews shut off the gas leak immediately when they arrived on scene.

Fire crews evacuated nearby buildings in the area for a short time.  People have returned to their homes and businesses.

Crews had to repair the meter, as a service valve broke.

Some customers lost gas service, but Manthey explained that they should hopefully have service restored by 12:00 p.m.