Firefighters revive seven-year-old boy

CREATED Feb 16, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com

    Play

MILWAUKEE - A seven-year-old boy was critically injured in a fire at his south side home in Milwaukee Saturday morning.

TODAY’S TMJ4's Todd Hicks reports that when firefighters discovered the boy in a second floor bedroom of 3431 S. 10th Street, he didn't have a pulse. They worked hard to revive him, twice, and that boy was then rushed to Children's Hospital.

Sylvia Oleszek is a relative of the victim.

She told Hicks that her nephew's an adorable, sweet, cute little boy, full of life. She says she talked to the boy's mother who wasn't home when the fire broke out, but was rushing to the hospital to be with him.

It was a neighbor who noticed smoke from the second floor of the home just before 8 a.m. and began banging on doors and windows to wake up anyone who might be inside.

The boy and his grandfather were the only ones home at the time. The adult escaped, but the flames had trapped the child upstairs. He suffered smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Police say the fire might have been caused by an electrical failure, but they are still investigating.