Murders, rapes, other violent crime numbers rise in Milwaukee
Video by wtmj.comvideo
MILWAUKEE - The number of homicides, rapes and aggravated assaults rose in 2012 compared to 2011, according to statistics released by Milwaukee Police.
In that time period:
- The number of homicides has risen more than five percent.
- Rapes have gone up by nearly eight percent.
- The number of aggravated assaults has risen 31 percent.
- Domestic violence-related assaults have gone up by 48 percent.
- Overall, violent crime is up by more than nine percent.
The department stated that there was a decrease in certain crimes between 2011 and 2012, but when it reported violent crimes, its news release ignored the year to year comparisons and instead averaged the last six years together.