Chemical spill at Children's Hospital

CREATED Jan 9, 2013 - UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013

  • Print
  • Video by wtmj.com

    Play
  • Image by TODAY'S TMJ4

WAUWATOSA - Crews with the Wauwatosa Fire Department came to the scene of a chemical spill at Children's Hospital.

The spill happened early Wednesday morning at about 7:30 a.m.

The hospital says that no patients were affected.

According to officials, a quart of acetic acid spilled in a laboratory on the third floor.  The laboratory is only available to employees.

That type of acid is the main component in vinegar.  It can affect the respiratory system.

Workers immediately called for help, and the lab was evacuated.

"We did have staff who rounded with our patients and families to make them aware of the situation,' explained Holly Colby of Children's Hospital.

As soon as the chemical was removed, workers returned to their jobs inside the laboratory.