Student arrested in dorm overdose death identified
MILWAUKEE - A Unviersity of Wisconsin-Milwaukee student arrested in the overdose death of a 56 year-old family friend in Sandburg Hall has been identified as Tyler Schmidt.
The 19 year-old freshman is in jail after finding Timothy Stanczyk suffered a suspected heroin overdose in his Schmidt's dorm room.
"These things happen everyday," said Schmidt's roommate Kyle Binter, who also discovered Schmidt's body. "It's a sad thing, but I just feel my friend is probably going to go down for it."
Investigators believe Schmidt bought heroin near 35th St. and Wisconsin Ave. shortly before Stanczyk's death.
Charging documents obtained by TODAY'S TMJ 4 show that Schmidt was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of possessing heroin at a home improvement store in Franklin.
Schmidt has not yet been criminally charged wtih Stanczyk's death.