Fond du Lac 'Miracle Mile' store flooded with Powerball buyers
As of Wednesday morning, the Powerball jackpot was $550 million. What can $550 million buy you? Here's 10 examples:
1) Every home in the town of Elmwood Park in Racine County - 11 times over.
2) A 2013 Harley-Davidson Fatboy motorcycle for everyone who lives in Whitefish Bay and Shorewood, or everyone in Neenah. (Photo: Harley-Davidson)
3) A flight from Milwaukee to New York and back for every person living in the Milwaukee metropolitan area.
4) Every case of MillerCoors-made beer currently inside the Miller Valley distribution facility - 110 times over.
5) One triple scoop waffle cone from Kopp's Frozen Custard every day for every person living in the city of Milwaukee for six months, or one Kroll's original butterburger for every person living in Green Bay for more than three years. (Photo: Journal Sentinel)
6) Tuition, room, board and fees for every undergraduate student at Marquette University this year, or every undergraduate student at St. Norbert's College for four years.
7) Tickets to every seat at every Packers game at Lambeau Field for the next 8 years.
8) 2,200,000 shares of stock in the Green Bay Packers. (That won't get you any closer on the season ticket waiting list.)
9) The Milwaukee Bucks. (Of course, there's that issue of paying players with the leftover cash.) (Photo: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
10) 275 million more Powerball tickets.
But there's one key thing to remember: You won't end up with $500 million in the end. First consider the fact that the lump sum payment is actually said to be $327 million, according to Powerball's web site, and choosing to go with the annuity will actually get you about that much, or potentially less.
Then, remove the portion to be allocated for taxes, and various estimates have the remaining value as slightly less than half to about half of the advertised jackpot.
FOND DU LAC - People hoping to win tonight's giant Powerball jackpot are flooding what many believe is the luckiest store in Wisconsin.
Korneli's Main Street Express is located on the storied Miracle Mile in Fond du Lac.
The store has history of selling winning lottery tickets, including a $208 million Powerball jackpot in 2006, when the store was known as Ma and Pa's.
Store manager Amanda Ruelle told Newsradio 620 WTMJ's Michelle Richards that it's been getting busier and busier since no one won Saturday's drawing.
"Everything from last week Saturday...has been getting busier and busier. We've been all hands on deck, three registers going, three lotto terminals going. Today, we expect it to be absolutely insane," said Ruelle.
Ruelle told Richards that customers from all over the Midwest are coming in for Powerball tickets.
She even had a woman drive all the way up from Tennessee.
"One lady last night called from Tennessee. It's a nine-hour drive. She was coming up just to buy her ticket."