UW-Platteville student starts fire trying to make meth

CREATED Nov 11, 2012

  • Print

PLATTEVILLE - Police say it seems a small fire on the University of Wisconsin-Platteville campus was started when a student tried to make meth.

The fire started early Saturday. The Rountree Commons dorm was evacuated for about an hour.

Police say a student was trying to cook methamphetamine when the ingredients started a fire in a plastic waste basket. The student put out the fire and emergency crews were called.

Five people suffered smoke-related injuries.

The student was arrested.

He's being held on a tentative charge of attempted manufacturing of methamphetamine.