Questions about smoke detectors in deadly fire
MILWAUKEE - It's not clear yet if the house didn't have smoke detectors or if they just weren't working.
What is clear is the little boy who died in the fire didn't have time to get out.
"We haven't been able to locate any," Milwaukee Fire Department Acting Chief Terry Lintonen says.
Firefighters think a babysitter left sometime on the stove at the house near 23rd and Auer. Sadly, a seven-year-old boy couldn't make it out of the burning house.
"The next door house that caught fire, they did have the smoke detector and that did alert the occupants," Lintonen says.
Officials say they plan on returning to this neighborhood as a part of Fire Prevention Week to make sure people who live here know the importance of a working detector.
"It's the time of year when you should check your batteries or change your batteries, typically you do that twice a year," Brookfield Assistant Fire Chief Tony D'Amico says.
The Milwaukee Fire Department says they'll provide working fire detectors free of charge to anyone that needs one.