Oconomowoc fire victim comes home
Keller Russell reports Video by 620wtmj.comvideo
OCONOMOWOC- Mary Dollak is a lucky survivor of the Oconomowoc fire that took the life of her neighbor, Sharron Phillips, Sunday afternoon.
Dollak was asleep when the fire began and a working smoke detector saved her life.
Her brother, Roberty Erhardt, is thankful that she heard the smoke detector go off.
"Without that, my sister wouldn't be here and I'd be having a different conversation right now that I'm glad I'm not having," Erhardt said.
Dollak was trapped by the smoke and flames in her second floor apartment at 112 N. Main St., right in the heart of downtown Oconomowoc. She decided to break her window and jump to safety.
The fall left her with injuries that required hours of surgery at the Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital. Dollak was released Monday and was greeted by a very grateful family.
"We are definitely blessed. There was an angel watching over my sister. She's here (Monday) and thank god for that," said Erhardt.
Witnesses tried to pull Phillips from the fire before the firefighters arrived but were unable to. When help came, she had disappeared. Kylene Luck, a friend of Phillips, talked about the kind of person she was.
"She was a really great person. I mean, she had a big heart," said Luck.
Stay tuned to TODAY'S TMJ4 for updates on the Oconomowoc fire.