Gas leak shuts down North Avenue on Milwaukee's east side
Charles Benson reports Video by 620wtmj.comvideo
MILWAUKEE- A busy block on Milwaukee's east side is shut down Monday evening during a gas leak.
Several bars and restaurants near North Avenue between Oakland and Farwell were evacuated.
Milwaukee firefighters and We Energies crews were able to quickly find and fix the problem.
Jason Burczyk at Cans Bar & Canteen was among the first to call 9-1-1 after smelling gas.
"It was strong enough that people in the bar said they were light headed so they came in evacuated everyone pretty quickly," said Jason Burczyk.
Several bars and restaurants were shutdown for about a couple of hours. We Energies found the source of the leak in a utility hole on Kenilworth and eventually fixed the problem.
The owner at Hotch Spot didn't know what was going until they were told to evacuate. They didn't smell anything until they got outside.
"Oh you could smell it. You could definitely smell it, so that made us definitely nervous," said Peter Panagos.
We Energies thinks a third party contractor doing work in the area may have hit a gas line and didn't know it.