Sentencing delayed in case of deadly Milwaukee hit-and-run crash

CREATED May 24, 2012 - UPDATED: May 24, 2012

  • Print
  • Video by

  • Video by


MILWAUKEE - A driver convicted of fleeing from police, crashing into another car and killing a college student, was originally supposed to find out his sentence on Thursday,  but that sentencing has been delayed until June 4th.

A judge was set to sentence Johnny Jones in a Milwaukee County courtroom in the case of Shanica Adkins' death, but TODAY'S TMJ4's Nick Montes reports that the defense attorney was not ready to proceed for sentencing.

He pled guilty on Tuesday to three counts of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle, hit-and-run involving death and hit-and-run involving great bodily harm.

"It's just unclear to me having him clear it up in a day and a half or two days to find out," said Michael Hicks, Jones' attorney.

The judge said he was displeased, but needed to grant the request.

Prosecutors claimed that the defense had plenty of time.

"Family has been waiting for two and a half years for this sentencing day.  Everyone is set to go," said Denis Stingl, the prosecutor.

"I'm kind of lost for words right now," said Darnell Adkins, Shanica's father, on Thursday.  "We were really expecting to get this over with today...unfortunately, we'll have to come back once again, and hopefully, it will be the last time."

Shanica Adkins, a 21-year-old UW-Madison student, had her entire life in front of her.

"She was encouraging, motivated...we will miss her and love her dearly," said Precious Woodley, a classmate from UW-Madison, at Adkins' funeral in January of 2010.

Her life was cut short after a car crash at the corner of North Sherman Boulevard and West Center Street on New Years' Eve 2009, as she was heading home to see her parents.

Jones was driving the other car in that crash.  He fled the scene.

He was attempting to get away from police for a missing license plate.

Jones ran a red light when the crash happened.

Police searched for him for more than two weeks after the crash, but he eventually turned himself in.

"He's shaken up a lot of great people's lives, and he's taken away a very nice person," said Theo Cobbs, her uncle, while at the funeral.

Adkins' boyfriend was also critically injured in the crash.