13 injured, exposed to carbon monoxide

CREATED Jan. 27, 2012

  • Print

BLACK RIVER FALLS, Wis. (AP) -- Authorities say a faulty propane tank likely caused carbon monoxide fumes that sent 13 workers to the hospital in Jackson County.

Emergency responders were called to Chippewa Bi Products near Alma Center Thursday on a report that at least one worker had passed out.

EMTs determined that there were several people who may have been overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in one of the buildings. The company says the faulty tank was used to fuel a forklift.

The Eau Claire Leader-Telegram (http://bit.ly/z5cYB4 ) says nine of the victims taken to Black River Memorial Hospital were treated and released. The rest were transferred to other facilities.

------
Information from: Leader-Telegram, http://www.leadertelegram.com/