Eau Claire family mourns dog killed by eating mushroom

CREATED Jan. 2, 2014

  • Print
EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) -- A Wisconsin family is warning others of the dangers of pet poisoning after their dog died from eating mushrooms.
 
Scott and Jody Erdman tell the Leader-Telegram, of Eau Claire, their 6-month-old black Labrador retriever, Bosco, disappeared for about 10 minutes during a picnic in the woods on Dec. 21.
 
The Erdmans and their children didn't think much of it later that night when Bosco threw up. But soon he was violently ill, drooling and staggering.
 
The Erdmans rushed the dog to a veterinarian, but he died hours later.
 
A mushroom expert with the North American Mycological Association later identified the mushroom Bosco ate as Amanita pantherina. Michael Beug says dogs often eat that mushroom, and adults usually survive. He says Bosco was more sensitive because of his age.