Geek's college football top 25-October 17
We're at the halfway point of the season and the unbeatens are dropping off like flies. The SEC East gets less cloudy after this weekend's Florida-South Carolina game, LSU-Texas A&M meet in an elimination game and rivalries like Alabama-Tennessee, Florida State-Miami and Minnesota-Wisconsin will begin to fill the landscape for the rest of the year.
1. Alabama 6-0 (1) Not even lightning could stop the Tide from rolling to another win
2. Oregon 6-0 (2) Difficult 2nd half of season starts with red hot Arizona State
3. Kansas State 6-0 (4) Wildcats in driver's seat for Big XII title now
4. Florida 6-0 (5) SEC East will be decided in the next two weeks
5. Notre Dame 6-0 (6) Controversial finish overshadows another impressive defensive performance
6. Ohio State 7-0 (7) Struggled to finish off weak Indiana team
7. LSU 6-1 (9) Scored big win vs South Carolina to keep title hopes alive
8. Oklahoma 4-1 (11) Blowout win vs Texas puts OU back in title hunt
9. Clemson 5-1 (10) Face struggling Virginia Tech this week
10. South Carolina 6-1 (3) Gamecocks play must win game this weekend at Florida
11. Florida State 6-1 (12) Punished BC after first loss of season
12. West Virginia 5-1 (8) Can get back into BCS race with a win vs Kansas State
13. Georgia 5-1 (13) Had week off to recover from lone loss
14. Louisville 6-0 (14) Can Louisville eventually get into BCS title discussion?
15. Mississippi State 6-0 (16) Face trap game this week with Alabama on deck
16. USC 5-1 (18) Quietly getting back into BCS picture
17. Oregon State 5-0 (19) Passed first test without starting QB
18. TCU 5-1 (20) Horned Frogs get fired up Texas Tech at home
19. Ohio 7-0 (21) Once again hung on for a conference win
20. Rutgers 6-0 (22) Who knew a Rutgers-Temple game could be so meaningful?
21. Cincinnati 5-0 (23) A win over Toledo sets up big showdown at Louisville
22. Texas Tech 5-1 (NR) Can Red Raiders keep it going after huge West Virginia upset?
23. Texas A&M 5-1 (NR) Win over La Tech was one of the most entertaining games of the year
24. Arizona State 5-1 (NR) Winners of three straight, get Oregon at home Thursday night
25. Texas 4-2 (15) Can Longhorns recover after devastating loss to Oklahoma?
Dropped out: Stanford, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech
Previous week's rank in parentheses