Notes from Mike McCarthy's press conference
Green Bay Packers Head Coach, Mike McCarthy addressed the media this afternoon from the auditorium at Lambeau Field. Below are some tidbits:
DID NOT PRACTICE: Mike Neal, Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson, Greg Jennings
LIMITED: Sam Shields, Donald Driver, John Kuhn, Terrell Manning, Jordy Nelson, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor
- Clay will not be available for this weekend against the Lions. Hopeful for next week, but not certain. McCarthy is not surprised at this.
- Jordy looked like his "old self" according to McCarthy.
- McCarthy is not trying to forecast when guys might be coming back from injury. He did mention that Woodson and Jennings are further ahead than he anticipated. Focus is on getting 46 guys ready for Sunday.
- Three components to winning division games: Taking care of the ball, winning on third downs, and limiting penalties. Focus this week on controlling emotions in hostile environment.
- Stretch of 7 games is unique. Looking at the remaining schedule as a whole versus breaking up into segments.
- Tramon Williams is an exceptional athlete. He plays with great leverage and that makes him successful against bigger wide receivers such as Calvin Johnson. There isn't a day that goes by where Williams doesn't stand out and make an outstanding play in practice.
- McCarthy is very confident in Evan Dietrich-Smith. Credits his off-season work as part of the reason why he's improved over the years.
- Players seem to have great energy coming off the bye week. Feels good about the "freshness level" of the team.