Matzek's NFL Power Rankings: Week 8
The rankings roll on! The Packers made a nice move after beating the Jets, the Titans fell some after being hammered by the Chargers.
1. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (3) - If it seems like the Patriots never have to rebuild, it's because they don't. They don't even pause, and retool. Bellichick's team has quietly been extremely consistent.
6. NEW YORK GIANTS (6) - Coming off a bye week, the Giants will look to keep the momentum going against a fellow division leader...the Seattle Seahawks (oh the NFC West).
7. ATLANTA FALCONS (9) - Also coming off a bye week, the Falcons have a battle for the division lead with the upstart Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday.
9. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (11) - Bye week. The Eagles will start Michael Vick against the Indianapolis Colts this weekend.
12. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (14) - Sure, the Chiefs narrowly escaped the win less Bills on Sunday, but a 5-2 record, especially this season, is no fluke.
15. HOUSTON TEXANS (12) - They simply don't have the defense to stop teams with even a decent offense. They could make the playoffs as a wild card, but I don't think they can advance.
17. CHICAGO BEARS (14) - Bye week. Maybe Jay Cutler will learn to get rid of the ball quicker and Mike Martz will consider going max protection on with the offensive line.
I kinda like how this all turned out last week, so I'm sticking to it. I've ranked the teams below based solely on record. It will be interesting to see how this shifts from week to week, but for now, it is pretty close to accurate in my eyes.
18. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (16) - So they got pounded by the Raiders..who cares! They're still in first place in the NFC West at 4-3.
19. ST. LOUIS RAMS (21) - Trailing Seattle by a half game in the division, the Rams are just dangerous enough to beat a couple playoff teams this season (outside of the West).
20. OAKLAND RAIDERS (22) - They've scored 92 points in the last two games? What the...
21. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (23) - One out of every five games, David Garrard shows his worth. He accounted for 5 touchdowns in their win over the Cowboys...might want to sit him this weekend if you're a fantasy owner.
22. ARIZONA CARDINALS (20) - Lost a shootout to the Buccaneers on Sunday. Cardinals fans were excited to see signs of life from the offense.
23. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (26) - The way they toyed with the Titans is more what people expected to see out of the Chargers since the start of the season. TE Antonio Gates has 9 touchdown receptions already.
24. CINCINNATI BENGALS (24) - Could you imagine if they signed Randy Moss? HA!
25. DETROIT LIONS (28) - Welcome back Matthew Stafford!
32. BUFFALO BILLS (32) - Is it reasonable to say that the Bills are the best 0-7 team in the past 20 years? I have to dig on that, but they certainly give you everything they have.