Matzek's NFL Power Rankings: Week 5
Aside of the Jets, Ravens, Steelers and bottom feeders, I seriously considered ranking every team on this list at 15. I love the whole parody thing and the fact there are no more undefeated teams in the league, but I can't even begin to wrap my arms around what all the tie breaker scenarios will look like as we near the playoffs...it'll be longer than War And Peace. Nonetheless, here's a look at what I came up with for this weeks rankings. Last weeks ranking in parenthesis:
1. NY JETS (1) - They continue to avoid making big mistakes while having developed pretty good balance on offense.
2. BALTIMORE RAVENS (2) - Could easily make an argument for them to be atop this list.
3. PITTSBURGH STEELERS (3) - The Steelers hold their spot at 3 with Ben Roethlisberger returning in week 6. Given the way this season has gone so far, the Steelers should lose by 20 to Cleveland this weekend.
4. ATLANTA FALCONS (4) - Are they the best team in the NFC? Really? Battle of the birds this Sunday as they take on the Eagles.
5. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (7) - Had a bye, but I had no choice but to move them up given other teams losses. Can they sustain without Randy Moss? Bill Belichick thinks so.
6. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (8) - Peyton Manning looked human, but at the end of the year, people will look at the road win at Kansas City as a quality one.
7. NEW YORK GIANTS (11) - Two weeks ago fans were screaming for Tom Coughlin's head, now they're screaming 'division title'.
8. WASHINGTON REDSKINS (14) - Donovan McNabb and Mike Shannahan bring a winning mentality to DC. No chance they win that game a year ago.
9. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (5) - Teams are doing to the Saints, what the Saints did to them a year ago - capitalizing on mistakes with an opportunistic defense. Karma stinks.
10. CHICAGO BEARS (13) - They better hope Jay Cutler gets back soon...backup QB Todd Collins gave a new meaning to 'awful' with 4 interceptions against the Panthers.
11. GREEN BAY PACKERS (6) - How the heck are they going to field a roster of players for practice this week?
12. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (17) - Kevin Kolb looked much more comfortable in leading the Eagles to victory against the 49ers.
13. TENNESSEE TITANS (21) - As long as they can run, they are dangerous.
14. HOUSTON TEXANS (9) - Completely dominated by the NY Giants. The Texans will need to win shootouts because their defense can't stop anything.
15. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (15) - They fell from the ranks of the unbeaten, but made the Colts offense look pedestrian in defeat.
16. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (16) - Too many jokes...
17. DALLAS COWBOYS (10) - The Cowboys play Minnesota next week with the loser looking ahead to next season.
18. DENVER BRONCOS (18) - Kyle Orton continues to rack up passing yards at a ridiculous pace...and he did it against the stingiest defense in the NFL. Denver really needs Knoshown Moreno back at RB however.
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS (20) - Had a bye, and heading to Lambeau this weekend.
20. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (23) - Fought off some ugly mistakes to beat the Bills.
21. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (24) - QB Josh Freeman is better than I thought.
22. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (12) - ???? (again)
23. CINCINNATI BENGALS (19) - There is no excuse for how poor the Bengals have played. They are way too talented to be losing like this.
24. DETROIT LIONS (27) - Never wake a sleeping Lion.
25. ARIZONA CARDINALS (28) - Starting an undrafted rookie at QB, the Cardinals managed to beat the Saints (and score 30 points) without scoring an offensive touchdown. What the?
26. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (25) - Had a bye. Sorry for dropping you one slot.
27. OAKLAND RAIDERS (30) - Playing without RB Darren McFadden, the Raiders rallied behind Bruce Gradkowski to earn a win over the confusing Chargers.
28. ST. LOUIS RAMS (22) - Two steps forward, one step back.
29. CLEVELAND BROWNS (26) - QB injury troubles continue. Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace are both injured...might we see rookie Colt McCoy behind center this weekend?
30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers (29) - At 0-5, they are still in the hunt in the NFC West. If they played in any other division, their season would be toast.
31. CAROLINA PANTHERS (32) - They intercepted the Bears Todd Collins 4 times and still lost by 17.
32. BUFFALO BILLS (31) - If nothing else, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick looks better than Trent Edwards (???).