Matzek's NFL Power Rankings: Week 3
Another week, another shift in the balance of power in the NFL. Before you read on, I must point out that just because one team beats the other in head-to-head competition, it doesn't necessarily make that team better. You can probably sense where I'm going with this, but one week is not a trend.
1. PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Granted, it was a win over the Buccaneers, but the Steelers could win with the Miller Lite Fan of the Game at QB right now. Tough test this week against the Baltimore Ravens.
2. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - The NFL might consider changing the name of the MVP award. Through three games, Manning has 9 TD's and 0 interceptions.
3. NY JETS - Two signature AFC wins in row have vaulted the Jets to #3. May have to play a second consecutive game without Darelle Revis.
4. ATLANTA FALCONS - They beat the former #1 on this list (New Orleans) on the road and their only loss is to the current #1 on this list.
5. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Defense isn't as opportunistic as it was last year, but the scheduling God's have cast a favor their way. The Saints next four games are against the Carolina, Arizona, Tampa Bay, and Cleveland.
6. GREEN BAY PACKERS – Lack of discipline resulted in a team record 18 penalties Monday night. As anticipated, they miss Ryan Grant. At least it’s a short week until their next game.
7. CHICAGO BEARS – I had considered placing them ahead of the Packers until I heard former Bear, and current Chicago Sports Radio host Tom Waddle say that he feels the Packers are a better team despite last night’s 20-17 win. Still, the Bears have won against two teams many predicted would represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
8. HOUSTON TEXANS – Mulligan.
9. BALTIMORE RAVENS – All they need is for the offense to be kinda good, and they should be a top 10 team all season.
10. CINCINNATI BENGALS – I fully realize they beat Baltimore in week 2, but they didn’t score a TD in that game…and something is wrong with Carson Palmer.
11. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - Giving up 30 points to the Buffalo Bills is not the way to impress, but they managed to win.
12. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES – Jacksonville is not a good team, but Vick’s 291 yards passing and 3 TD’s are scary when you consider how dangerous we know he is with his legs.
13. DALLAS COWBOYS – Battle of Texas goes the way of the Cowboys. Dominant in all three phases against the Texans.
14. TENNESSEE TITANS - Classic 8-8 team when it’s all said and done.
15. MIAMI DOLPHINS – Nowhere to run against the Jets defense rendered the ‘Phins one dimensional.
16. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS – Not playing elite teams is one thing. Absolutely hammering the 49ers is another. The Chiefs are 3-0 and coming to a city near you.
17. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - Finally allowed Adrian Paterson to carry the load, but Favre continues to struggle with two more interceptions while taking a lot of hits against the Lions.
18. NEW YORK GIANTS - Last week I was told by my east coast friend Matt that NY was too low on this list, and the Eagles too high. After week three, I stand by my decisions.
19. WASHINGTON REDSKINS – Think they were looking past the Rams with a road game at Philly this weekend? Donovan McButterpants versus Michael Vick should garner loads of attention.
20. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - ???
21. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS – Tied for the division lead in the horrible NFC West.
22. DENVER BRONCOS – Kyle Orton’s arm is going to fall off if he has to pass for nearly 500 yards every game.
23. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS – More like the team that lost to Pittsburgh than the team that started 2-0.
24. ARIZONA CARDINALS – See “Seattle”.
25. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers – Just what QB Alex Smith needs…another new offensive coordinator.
26. ST. LOUIS RAMS - Really handed it to the Redskins. Congrats to Sam Bradford for his first win.
27. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS – Remember when David Garrard was among the best in the NFL at NOT throwing interceptions?
28. DETROIT LIONS - Decent first half against the Vikings, but little in the second half.
29. OAKLAND RAIDERS - Sebastian Janikowski missed a chip shot against the Cardinals that would have won it. On the bright side, Darren McFadden is finally rushing the ball with purpose.
30. CLEVELAND BROWNS – Seneca Wallace is better than Jake Delhomme.
31. BUFFALO BILLS – A 30 point effort against New England with Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB moves the Bills up one notch.
32. CAROLINA PANTHERS - Holy cow are they bad.