Matzek's NFL Power Rankings: Week 2
It's not unusual to see significant movement in the power rankings from week one to week two. In this weeks version, the Dolphins, Bengals and Jets each rose 6 spots, while the Vikings fell 9 spots after losing to the Dolphins. That might seem to be a severe a drop, but as a consolaiton for Vikings fans, I have them as the highest ranked 0-2 team.
Previous weeks rank is in parenthesis:
1. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (1) - The offense hasn't looked spectacular yet, and the loss of Reggie Bush for 6 weeks won't help, but the Saints have weathered the storm against two strong defenses to start the year (Vikings and 49ers).
2. GREEN BAY PACKERS (4) - Seems like there are four guys wearing #52 for the Packers doesn't it? They dominated the Bills without much of a run game, while defense and special teams continue to impress.
3. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (5) - That's more like it. If their run defense grades out at a C+ at the end of the year, they will still make it to the AFC championship game. They graded out as an A in demolishing the Giants 38-14.
4. HOUSTON TEXANS (6) - 231 yards rushing for Arian Foster in week one...497 yards passing from Matt Schaub in week two. Pick your poison, the Texans are perhaps the most entertaining team in the league to watch play.
5. PITTSBURGH STEELERS (8) - They held Titans RB Chris Johnson to 14 yards...for the game! They are 2-0 with Dennis Dixon at QB. Because of an injury to Dixon, Charlie Batch will assume starting duties in week 3...if the Steelers continue winning behind Charlie Stinking Batch, consider this team 'dangerous' when Big Ben returns.
6. BALTIMORE RAVENS (2) - Their defense has yet to allow a TD, but the offense is a hot mess. Joe Flacco's passer rating is the same as Brett Favre's age.
7. NEW YORK JETS (13) - They really beat up the Patriots with an efficient offensive performance. Mark Sanchez picked the perfect time to have a career day. I get the feeling the Jets offense will be wildly inconsistent this season however.
8. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (3) - They crushed the Bengals in week one, and had their backsides handed to them by the Jets in week two. Is Fred Taylor really the starting RB?
9. ATLANTA FALCONS (14) - They dominated the Cardinals (I know...it's the Cardinals) at the point of attack with a 3rd string RB. There are questions on defense, but the Falcons are a playoff caliber team.
10. MIAMI DOLPHINS (16) - They picked off Brett Favre three times in the dome, but the offense remains lackluster. Ten might be a little generous for the Dolphins, but I think they're a wild card team.
11. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS (15) - On most days, committing three turnovers and suffering a blocked punt are enough to wind up in the loss column. On other days, a team like the Jacksonville Jaguars is the opponent. The Chargers won big, but I'm still not convinced.
12. CINCINNATI BENGALS (18) - In their 15-10 win over the Ravens, the Bengals proved you can win in the NFL with a good defense and good kicker (???).
13. WASHINGTON REDSKINS (12) - I only dropped them down one spot after an OT loss to the Texans. There's something intriguing about this team...Donovan McNabb 'gets it'.
14. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (17) - Vick/Kolb. Vick/Kolb. Vick/Kolb. I can't imagine a week where this isn't an entree on the discussion plate in Philly. Vick was excellent against the Lions in his first start since being jailed, but Kolb will get the start in week three.
15. TENNESSEE TITANS (10) - The Steelers defense is for real, so I'll hold back on docking the Titans too much this week...but I've got my eye on you Tennessee. Chris Johnson has a lot of work to do if he wants 2,500 yards rushing...14 yard efforts wont get you there.
16. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (7) - QB/WR timing was way off against the Saints. I want them to be lower on this list...this was my comment after week 1. For week 2: Replace "Saints" with "Dolphins".
17. NEW YORK GIANTS (11) - Injuries on the defensive line are starting to mount. The Colts completely dismantled the G-men in "Manning Bowl II".
18. CHICAGO BEARS (23) - I honestly thought the Cowboys pushed around the Bears at times, but it was still a solid road win. I'm not buying stock in the defense yet...they gave up over 400 yards to the Cowboys, but Jay Cutler's TD to INT ratio is outstanding.
19. DALLAS COWBOYS (9) - They are in complete disarray. Talented, yet undisciplined. They'll face the Texans in week three. You think Jerry Jones likes the idea of the Cowboys being the second best team in Texas?
20. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (22) - They blew apart the Charges in week 1, and eaked out a squeaker over the Browns in week 2. I'm not sure what to think, but it's better to be in that position with a 2-0 record.
21. DENVER BRONCOS (25) - Kyle Orton is off to a good start with a passer rating of 103, and they dominated the Seahawks in all three phases on Sunday.
22. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers (20) - Really shot themselves in the foot against the Saints gift wrapping four turnovers, but the Saints still needed a last second FG to win.
23. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS (27) - Their quality of opponent isn't high, but the Buccaneers are one of four undefeated teams in the NFC. The Saints, Packers and Bears are the other three.
24. ARIZONA CARDINALS (19) - Just got crushed at Atlanta. It may not matter who plays QB in Arizona if the line continues to allow that much penetration.
25. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (21) - I think this team more closely resembles the one that lost badly to the Broncos versus the one that smoked the 49ers in week one.
26. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS (24) - They forced three turnovers, had a blocked punt, and still lost 38-13 to the Chargers. MJD and MSW are about all this team has to feel good about.
27. DETROIT LIONS (28) - The only team this week to move up following a loss. They battled the Eagles to the wire, but lost 35-32.
28. OAKLAND RAIDERS (31) - Is the Jason Campbell era already over in Oakland?
29. CAROLINA PANTHERS (26) - If QB Matt Moore can stay healthy, it will be a long season for him. That was my comment from week one. Replace: Matt Moore with Jimmy Clausen. Things will not get much better.
30. BUFFALO BILLS (29) - Take...
31. ST. LOUIS RAMS (30) - ...your...
32. CLEVELAND BROWNS (32) - ...pick.