Matzek's NFL Power Rankings: Week 1
How'd week one of the NFL season treat you? Did you leave a body print on your couch? Still alive in your survivor pool? How about your fantasy team...did you have Arian Foster, or did you play against him? Regardless, some teams impressed, while others looked downright gross. With last week and weekend in mind, below are my power rankings going into week two. I'll make sure to do this on a weekly basis...look for it Tuesday or Wednesday following the weekend.
1. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - Last year's Super Bowl champs keep the top spot with a home win over the Minnesota Vikings. The Saints will be here until they lose a game.
2. BALTIMORE RAVENS - They screwed up three legitimate scoring threats against the NY Jets with turnovers, and still won the game. Their defense looked as good as ever and they should have pounded the Jets.
3. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS - WR Wes Welker looked like the most difficult man in the NFL to cover on underneath routes...that could spell doom for opposing defenses.
4. GREEN BAY PACKERS - Secondary, special teams, and pass rush were all heavily questioned before the season started. DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin were held to a combined 8 catches for 68 yards...return units were strong...56 yard FG from Mason Crosby....5 sacks. Nice start.
5. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - Lost a shootout on the road to the Houston Texans, where the run defense was non-existent. The passing game and Peyton Manning are too much to keep the Colts down however. Bob Sanders could be lost for the season with a torn biceps.
6. HOUSTON TEXANS - I'm tossing them a bone here after soundly beating the Colts in a game where Matt Schaub had only 107 passing yards.
7. MINNESOTA VIKINGS - QB/WR timing was way off against the Saints. I want them to be lower on this list.
8. PITTSBURGH STEELERS - Welcome back Troy Polamalu. If Dennis Dixon can keep them at .500 before Big Ben returns, they could put the heat on the Ravens for the division title.
9. DALLAS COWBOYS - Talent alone earns them this spot, but by no means should the NFC East be handed to them. My guess is that Wade takes a knee next time.
10. TENNESSEE TITANS - We'll see if they can hold up against the Steelers in week 2, but Chris Johnson and a solid defense are nice combination. Team should get a boost if Vince Young is awarded the Heism....never mind.
11. NEW YORK GIANTS - Three picks from Eli Manning and they still put up 31 points on Carolina. The typical smash mouth Giants have a dynamic receiving core.
12. WASHINGTON REDSKINS - After spending three days listening to sports radio in Philadelphia last week, I became intrigued with the concern shown by Eagles fans regarding the 'Skins. They feel this is a wild card team. A win over Dallas was certainly a step in the right direction.
13. NEW YORK JETS - Absolutely anemic offense against a great Ravens defense. Fantasy owners beware: Shonn Greene had 5 carries for 18 yards, while Ladanian Tomlinson had 11 for 62.
14. ATLANTA FALCONS - Don't look into the offensive struggles in week one too much...the Steelers defense was outstanding.
15. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS - Loss of Vincent Jackson hurts, but defense and special teams were bigger no-shows against the Kansas City Chiefs.
16. MIAMI DOLPHINS - Had barely enough gas to eek by the Buffalo Bills in week one. A win, but not a great start.
17. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - Looked like a MASH unit once the dust settled, but this is a solid team that made a furious comeback against the Packers.
18. CINCINNATI BENGALS - The Patriots are awfully good, but it took the Bengals the better part of 3 quarters to wake up.
19. ARIZONA CARDINALS - A win is a win I guess...even if it's a struggle fest against the Rams.
20. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers - The most talented team in the division got smoked by the Seahawks. Not sure that Alex Smith has it in him to carry this team, but the division is weak.
21. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - Stunned the 49ers by running away with a win. Pete Carroll 1 - Haters 0.
22. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - Dare I say, "the upstart Kansas City Chiefs"? The Chargers sure think so.
23. CHICAGO BEARS - If the offensive line can keep Jay Cutler upright, I could see the Bears climbing into the low-teens be seasons end. No, that's not snarky humor...I just don't believe in them.
24. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS - Top WR Mike Sims-Walker goes without a catch, but the Jags still have enough to top the Broncos. Jack Del Rio is on the hot seat, so this was an important win.
25. DENVER BRONCOS - Enough complaining about Tim Tebow already. The Broncos have far greater issues than the role of their backup quarterback. Good grief.
26. CAROLINA PANTHERS - If QB Matt Moore can stay healthy, it will be a long season for him.
27. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS - They won, and nobody got to see it. Week one was one of many future blackouts for the Bucs.
28. DETROIT LIONS - It's a shame about Matthew Stafford. If the team has to rely on Shaun Hill to win games, 5 wins will be a stretch. I believe a healthy Stafford would allow the Lions to creep up on this list.
29. BUFFALO BILLS - Very limited offensively, but had a spirited performance in a loss to the Dolphins.
30. ST. LOUIS RAMS - Likely to get a win in week two against the Raiders. In Sam we trust?
31. OAKLAND RAIDERS - Awful. Just awful against the Titans. How anybody can be excited about Jason Campbell is beyond me.
32. CLEVELAND BROWNS - On the clock.